Fluke Networks' New OptiFiber Pro OTDR Redefines Enterprise Fiber Testing
Features of the new fiber tool include the industry's fastest trace times, the only smartphone interface and auto datacenter configuration
Everett, WA /PRNewswire/ - Fluke Networks today announced the OptiFiber™ Pro OTDR, the first handheld OTDR (optical time-domain reflectometer) built from the ground up for enterprise fiber testing. Performance breakthroughs of the OptiFiber Pro OTDR allow users to reduce costs associated with premise fiber testing, while enhancing productivity and improving network reliability.
To view the multimedia assets associated with this release, please visit: www.multivu.com/mnr/54752-fluke-networks-first-handheld-optifiber-pro-otdr-enterprise-fiber-testing
The OptiFiber Pro OTDR creates a new standard for usability with a smartphone interface that supports gesture-based commands, and technology enhancements that simplify testing in datacenter environments.
"This tester changes the game for fiber troubleshooting," said Doug Swalec, senior fiber application engineer at Panduit Corp. "The OptiFiber Pro OTDR's new multi-touch, smartphone-like interface dramatically reduces the learning curve associated with using an OTDR. The simplified Datacenter Mode and project management tools will help industry technicians immediately deliver accurate test results and quickly archive and access data."
Key new features include:
- The first OTDR with a smartphone user-interface: Minimizes the learning curve typically associated with older OTDRs by greatly reducing complexity – helping any technician quickly become a fiber expert.
- A simplified "Datacenter" Mode: Automates the process of setting test parameters, like wavelength or end-detection algorithms, significantly reducing set-up time and the complexity of learning how to troubleshoot datacenter problems.
- The industry's shortest event and attenuation dead zones: Tests connectors and patch cords as short as 0.5 meters. This is critical in virtualized server environments, where connections are often less than one meter and hidden performance issues can severely decrease the reliability of datacenters and storage area networks (SANs).
- Visual presentation of faults: Shows all fiber events graphically allowing any user to quickly and easily interpret OTDR trace results.
- Built-in project management tools: Facilitates the assignment and tracking of all fiber testing projects for multiple users, increasing efficiency, enhancing project tracking visibility and enabling cost-effective device sharing.
- Upgraded LinkWare™ management software: Eases the burden of workflow management, integrates test results, and keeps the OTDR up-to-date with the latest software.
"Enterprise fiber use is growing at 57 percent a year,* which increases the frequency and importance of fiber testing necessary to minimize issues that can be devastating to network operations," said Jason Wilbur, vice president of datacom cabling and installation tools at Fluke Networks. "Our new OptiFiber PRO is aimed squarely at the challenges our enterprise customers are facing today. The tester's new smartphone interface dramatically reduces the learning curve associated with using an OTDR, and the simplified Datacenter Mode will help industry technicians immediately solve problems in mission critical datacenter environments."
About Fluke Networks
Fluke Networks is the world-leading provider of network test and monitoring solutions to speed the deployment and improve the performance of networks and applications. Leading enterprises and service providers trust Fluke Networks' products and expertise to help solve today's toughest issues and emerging challenges in WLAN security, mobility, unified communications and datacenters. Based in Everett, Wash., the company distributes products in more than 50 countries. For more information, visit www.FlukeNetworks.com.
SOURCE: Fluke Networks